The five key dynamics that set successful teams apart from other teams at Google were identified:
- Psychological safety: Can we take risks on this team without feeling insecure or embarrassed?
- Dependability: Can we count on each other to do high quality work on time?
- Structure & clarity: Are goals, roles, and execution plans on our team clear?
- Meaning of work: Are we working on something that is personally important for each of us.
- Impact of work: Do we fundamentally believe that the work we're doing matters?
While all the 5 key dynamics are important, psychological safety proved to be the most impactful one, underpinning the other four. People are reluctant to show the behaviors that could negatively affect the perception of their competence, awareness or positivity by the other members of a group.
That means asking stupid questions, objecting common opinion or sharing crazy ideas is often avoided at workplace. Such behavior limits the ability of the team members to co-create, experiment and innovate, which is highly detrimental to the success of modern tech teams.